Saturday, May 19, 2012

Steam Punk Dance Costume Photos.

I finally found a good pic of my Dance costume for Gaslight Gathering! In usual fashion, I was too busy running around like a crazy person to haul out my camera...such is my absent minded way. But I did get this one great photo of me!

Photo taken by Mr. Muggles, He always makes me look good!

In reference, here's the original sketch again: 
Not too shabby! In retrospect, I think I'm going to change the shape of the sleeves of my chemise. They seem a bit too wide in photos. But they moved really well on the dance floor. Still, I may narrow out the sleeves and keep the flair at the elbow only.  The ensemble was extremely comfortable for a full day's wear. I was a bit worried since both the ghawee and chemise were mostly polyester. But it breathed great!

Here's me in action... Ignore my dancing concentration face. I need to work on that.

Photo by Jerry Abuan.

As with most of my steampunk stuff, I'll be doing little tweaks here and there when I need to wear it. But overall I feel this was a success.

The entire crew. Photo by Jerry Abuan.

My next venture into costuming will be at Labyrinth of Jareth Masquerade Ball. My friend Jen and I will be heading out as Steampunk style saloon girls. Progress shots soon to come!... Now that I have all the materials finally that is. Also, all my patterns are FINALLY bought to start my Victorian Walking dress. Better late than never I say!
Also, I'll be donning my 12th Night dress soon as I head to Caid Coronation in June. Hopefully I'll remember to get some decent photos of it. Cheers until then!

Monday, May 7, 2012

Gaslight Gathering Dancewear!

I'm Back! And sewing like the wind!
Gaslight Gathering is approaching and the Calafian Middle Eastern Guild has been asked to provide ambient entertainment again. Needless to say, I am STOKED!  Finally the three of us dancers decided to put something together... at the last possible minute of course. Well in my defense I DID buy the fabric weeks ago.

We're all going for a basic ghawazee and flowing pants look. I went with a very rusty color pallet to fit in with the whole steampunk feel. Here's my basic design sketch for what I'm trying to do:

Rust orange for the ghawazee,  beige for the chemise, and orange for the pants. You can't tell in this photo, but the fabric for the pants have some gold sparkle in it. I used a basic ghawazee pattern and lengthen it to a little above the ankle. You can't tell in the photos, but the side and back seams are split up to the hip for movement.

Work in progress!

Found some nice frogs at Yardage Town for 1.50 a piece. So much nicer that the $6 a piece Joann's was asking for.

Here's where I stand so far with it. Its pinned a bit halfassed to the dress form in this pic. I was tired last night.  Yes, I am using that bra YET again. I took many a finger wound for that bra so I am getting my fill out of it! I'm considering taking the hem up of the ghawazee a few more inches. Not sure if I'm happy with where its laying.

A quick detail shot of the patterns.  I was at first afraid to use so many prints but since they are both small and subtle I went for it.  I've been on this weird "I NEED TO WEAR PRINTS" kick lately.

And that's where I am about now. I should hopefully have this all done by tomorrow if the fates allow. I also am in the middle of making a cowboy duster for my friend, and another ghawazee for a fellow dancer. Needless to say my plate is full!
Stay tuned for pictures of the finished product!