Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hair Falls, Hair Clips, and RegencyGowns, Oh MY!

Anime Expo is fast approaching! And my friends and I tend to get a few tables together in the Artist Alley there. We go under the name ZOMGWTF?! Studios....long story behind that name. Its comprised of my other artist pals, Shing Khor, Trishana Prater, and Kythera of Anevern. And trust me when I say our styles and what we sell are VASTLY different between the four of us.
We like to keep people on their toes.
Anyways, every time the four of us get together for an event like this, I use it as an excuse to try my hand at doing something new. Last year I did a bunch of accessories for my Dollfie (...I really should take some photos of those). This year I decided to turn my attention to my interest in belly dancing and make some dancer style hair falls/hair clips. Well, okay that was my original idea. It ended up evolving slightly. As my brain is want to do for most projects I work on.
Take a peek! 

These are the hair falls/clips I originally started making.  A couple of these may turn into matching sets if I get my motivation springing again tonight.


And then I ended up finding these butterflies and kinda fell in love with them. So I made a couple sets of those as well in a similar style.

 
Did I mention I bought a LOT of butterflies? I ended up veering WAY off course from the hair fall style and ended up making these. I really like how these turned out. I'm considering making a few more simply because they are just fun to make...Need more butterflies though. Maybe some dragon flies if I can find some good ones.


And my one odd guy out here. I was going more for a Retro vintage style clip here. Might make a couple more of these just so I have some options.


And here is the result of the work I did while watching copious amounts of MST3K in my studio. These were a BLAST to make. It put me in a sort of zen state to slam out so many. I'm hoping I can sell a few. They will be available to buy in the Artist Alley during Anime Expo. We are in Row D...Not sure exactly what table number yet but I will let you know! Those that won't sell will be up on my Esty site right afterwards.


And since this is a costuming blog...
Regency progress! Keep in mind this is all just pinned together at the moment. Pins and sheer will are keeping that skirt on my dress form. I'm still tweaking this. As you can see I redid the stomacher. Since I don't have period stays (YET!) to wear under the dress I needed to rethink the stomacher to
 hide a bra. Alas, the stomacher looks great on the form but fits me really weird. So I'm going to have to bring a friend in to take a look at it to see where I'm going wrong. But at least I'm making progress!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the hair falls, they look amazing!!!!! Now I want to make a doll that wears those and is a woodland fairy. Why do you do this to meeeeeeeee...hey, can you make one of those with smaller flowers? I like oranges and greens and butterflys :) I can make an art doll out of one of my casts. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They came out really nice. I hope I can sell a few. I have my fingers crossed!
    How small are we thinking? Small as in for a person or small small as in for a doll? Because I can do both! Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete